Monday, April 18, 2011

Awkward Turtle.

Sometimes I feel like the older I get, the faster my social skills go downhill. For some reason, I find myself intimidated by some people who I shouldn't find intimidating. But then they try to talk to me and I clam up and fight a losing battle with my anxiety until I can make a quick escape. I was more sure of myself as a teenager. Then again, I had less life experience back then. Sometimes being naive can be an advantage, I guess.

In other news, Marmalade turned twelve yesterday, and my grandmother turned 83. I had a supermega-awkward encounter at church that I have no intention of discussing on this public blog and then I worked all afternoon and evening. It was a really busy day, probably because it was absolutely gorgeous out. Sunny and sixty-five degrees, with a slight breeze that was uncharacteristically warm for this time of year. People are crazy. They go shopping when it's a perfect day to sit outside and enjoy the beginnings of Spring. The flowers are just starting to bloom here, and I taught Max the joy of blowing a "wishing flower" (dandelion spores) the other day. I'm sure his neighbors won't be too pleased with us spreading their "weeds" around their lawns, but honestly, God has made some beautiful "weeds". I don't understand why people rip out the pretty yellow and purple wildflowers to plant boring grass. I wonder if there's a correlation between people who do that to their lawns and people who do that to their lives. I guess sometimes it's easier to feel safe and comfortable if your life remains boring and uniform. Adding splashes of color can be beautiful, but scary too.

Okay I'm done being philosophical for today. In not so interesting news, I started Weight Watchers about a week ago. So far I've lost 2 pounds, which isn't that exciting, but then again, I haven't been stressing myself too much either. This week I'm determined to start exercising on a regular basis again, and hopefully by next Monday I'll lose another few pounds. My goal is to lose 20 pounds by July 6th (which is when my subscription is up). Ideally, I'd like to lose half of that by Alicia's graduation on May 12th. I'm finally tired of being fat and not fitting into the clothes I want to wear. Besides, the truth is I'm not getting any younger and it'll only get harder to lose the weight as I age. So it's pretty much now or never. I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment